Thursday, January 5, 2012

The Beginning

I have decided to take a trip to Japan in June/July this year to visit my sister.  There are so many wonderful things and amazing sites to visit throughout Japan.  Among those, I have made a decision to climb Mount Fuji for my 30th birthday.  Not just climb it, but make it a true spiritual journey.  

Beautiful!
Instead of taking the bus half way up the mountain, I am going to be taking the original pilgrimage and starting from the bottom at the Fujiyoshida Sengen Shrine.  This is where pilgrims would pray and meditate before undertaking the holy trek up the mountain.  I figure if I fly all the way to Japan, why do it half way?  All or nothing, that's what I say!  My sister has decided to undertake this adventure with me. 

Shrine at the base of Mt Fuji
While I am there, I am going to be staying a few nights with Buddhist Monks (I will explain more later).  To prepare for this I have decided to make some life changes as well.  First off, no drinking or mind altering substances of any kind.  Most of you who know me are probably laughing about now.  This is something I have needed to do for a long time and although I did for a short time a few years ago, I now need to take it seriously.  Second, I am going to get back to eating Vegetarian.  I did this for a while when I was in massage school and was making regular visits to the cadaver lab.  Some how, I found meat to be not so appetizing after that.  Third, I am going to meditate and do yoga every day.  When I do this on a regular basis, it is amazing how clear my mind is and how much less angry I feel.

I have been contemplating for a long time and trying to figure out what life is all about.  Searching through books, talking and listening to people's life experiences and just observing life in general.  I still don't have the answer and don't think I ever truly will, but I am hoping this journey I am about to go on will give me a little more insight.  

Those of you who know me, know I am not a very open person.  I don't like sharing my "feelings" and crap like that.  Part of my journey will seek to change that (mind you I'm not going to be all sorts of emotional and cry or anything or at least not where people can see me).  I am going to be as honest and open as I can on here.  That being said, I apologize in advance if I offend anyone.  So, I'm pretty sure that will be enough entertainment in and of its self. 

Until next time!

2 comments:

  1. Thats awesome! I am proud of you. I wish I could come and see you and Danielle do this. Good luck and I think I speak for everyone when I say we want pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so awesome! I'm so excited for you! That's cool you're going back to eating vegetarian. I've been a vegetarian for almost 2 years now and it's one of the best things I've ever done for my body, mind, and soul. I only wish I'd done it sooner! I think that would be awesome to spend some time with the monks. I look forward to reading your blog! Good luck with everything! :)

    -Missy

    ReplyDelete