Monday, June 11, 2012

Week one

Holy crap, I can't believe I've been here for a week.  We have had a couple of pretty lazy days, it's nice to be able to adjust to the time change.  Since I haven't blogged for 3 days (apparently some of you are keeping track (: ) this one is kind of going to be a long one.

Saturday we decided to go to the Misawa Aviation & Science Museum.  They had an amazing variety of planes, including a replica of Miss Veedol.  It was the first plane to fly non-stop across the Pacific Ocean and it is a BIG deal around here.

Miss Veedol

Fighter jets






Another great place we saw was Tonami Clan Park.  It shows what life was like in the 1800's in this area of Japan.  Danielle got some great pictures of inside the house that I was freaked out about going into.  I thought I kept seeing people inside and I didn't want to be rude and just go in, or as Danielle calls it "that American".  But, no worries all, they are just mannequins (totally thought they were real people, I kept thinking "man, that lady has been sitting like that for a long time").



Outside a traditional house

Lantern outside the house






Inside the house



Today we headed up north to Towada Lake and Oirase Gorge.  The drive was so beautiful and it was so peaceful.  There was a lot of great places, with great views.









Towada Lake

The Maiden Statue near the lake

Island in the lake


Lastly, we can't forget about the food.  The food here is amazing, even the ready made food at the grocery store.  Danielle thinks I am crazy, but I am all about trying everything I can while I am here.

Pork Dumpling Ramen, soooo good!

Yeah, that's an egg fried in with the chicken on a sandwich

Sprite!
First vending machine purchase

Some sort of meat, still not sure

Yummy drink, with a nice little surprise of chunks of a gummy type substance.  Pretty sure I almost died when I took a big swig of my drink and almost choked on chunks.

No comments:

Post a Comment